Ria's Collection: GARAM MASALA VEGGIE PULAO

Monday, March 5, 2012

GARAM MASALA VEGGIE PULAO

Veggie Pulao

Last Friday, I was so out of ideas for lunch and since he was coming home I had to make something solid ;-) We were out of veggies and since it's the Lent season, I try and avoid eating non-veg on Fridays. Therefore I was left with very little options, since cooking anything vegetarian keeps me thinking for hours as I feel I cannot do justice to it! There was a time when I feared making a pulao but now it's as easy as breathing ;-)

Veggie Pulao

By the time I planned on what to make I had only 20 mins left with me.Without wasting anymore time,I kept the cooker on the stove and started adding ingredients to it, one by one. It smelt really good and I knew the end result was going to be very rewarding. I was just hoping that the water - rice ratio would be fine. Usually you need 2 cups of water for every cup of rice but in this recipe, I used 1:1.

Veggie Pulao

How could I serve it as is? We don't usually have raita or chutney with rice and having  no time to make any curry, I quickly deep fried some cauliflower florets using a simple spicy batter. It was a great accompaniment for the rice, some crunch and some veggies too! I am trying to incorporate more and more veggies into my diet,so looks like there will be more cooker pulao's happening here :-)

Veggie PulaoGARAM MASALA VEGGIE PULAO
My own recipe

Ingredients:
2 c basmati rice
2 c water
1 tsp ghee
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 onion, diced
5 green chillies, slitted
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/4 c frozen peas
1 c cauliflower florets
1 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 c cilantro, chopped

Method: On medium-high,heat ghee and oil together in a cooker. Crackle cumin seeds.Add onions,green chillies & ginger garlic paste. Saute till they are soft, 2 mins.Add the veggies and mix together.Add the powders, cilantro and mix well for a minute. Add the washed rice and fry carefully for a minute. Add water, salt and close the cooker with the lid . Cook for 1 whistle and keep it off the flame. Let the pressure go down on it's own. Fluff up the rice with a fork and serve hot!


Veggie Pulao


When he got back home, I told him that the lunch wasn't ready ;-) C'mon, I need to say something as soon as  I see him :-) He was surprised to see a pulao and that too with some fried Gobi! I am sure he wondered what's up with her, today!

He really liked it and said  that it was very flavourful and that I should make this quite often from now on .I agree to that 100%. You can incorporate more and more variety of veggies into your meal this way. If you are serving it with a curry, let it not overpower the flavour of the rice. This pulao is very very flavourful and you will feel like eating more and more :-)

13 Comments:

Anisha said...

That is a really quick pulao... I'm surprised 1:1 rice :water worked great...

Shireen said...

Love the simplicity of your recipes Ria..you have a way with cooking a delicious dish by just throwing a few ingredients together! I am going to try this as I love rice in any form!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Very quick to cook and looks so tempting dear.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

chef and her kitchen said...

I do these kind of quick rice varieties..yumm

San said...

Interesting and a comfort pulao that was a savior. Iam hungry now :)

Divya Kudua said...

I love one-pot pressure cooker biryani/pulaos and always have my go-to recipe whenever I am short of time.Served with a raita and fried lijjat pappad,it looks like a wholesome meal in itself.I am amused with the 1:1 ratio,does it depend on the rice or is that amount of water really enough?The grains look fluffy,so I am guessing it is!

createwithmom said...

flavourful looking pulao

Kanchan said...

Snaps looks super awesome. A good dish for dinner. 15 mints is the fastest i think :)

Priti said...

Hi Ria! :) I saw your recipe yesterday and have made a nice fragrant veggie pulao for lunch today paired with some pretty pink beetroot raita. I added more veggies (brown mushrooms, edamame, green bell pepper, tomato and carrot) and tossed a handful of pudina since I had some at hand. I can't wait for lunch! :) Thanks for reminding me of an easy breezy lunch recipe! I would really appreciate if you could share more such quick and healthy veggie recipes on your blog.

I always use twice the amount of water for basmati rice (which I soak it in and later use for cooking) but maybe things differ from rice to rice and ofcourse the pressure cooker too! Your pulao looks perfect!

Ria Mathew said...

Divya, I wasn't sure what I was getting into and since it was pressure cooked I thought I'd go with 1:1. The rice was cooked perfectly.

A reader wrote to me saying she made the same yesterday and did not mention about any problems with the rice- water ratio, so I think any basmati rice would work here.

Vineetha Sush said...

Love this kind of easy breezy ones...lovely clicks.

gigi said...

ria,

this weekend had this plan of trying out this recipe of yours. then later that day, i saw your mom's "rice recipes" featured in Vanitha and the Vegetable Biriyani called my name. So i went on with it and it was really delicious..loved it!!! and simple too....convey my thanks to your mom. Will try this another time..it sure looks promising!!!

Sangeetha said...

Hi Ria,

Was looking for a easy pulav as i didn't have many ingredients to cook since landed in Dubai this week.It came out really nice thanks :)

Sangeetha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...