Ria's Collection: CHOCOLATE RUM TRUFFLES ~Waste not Want not!

Friday, October 23, 2009

CHOCOLATE RUM TRUFFLES ~Waste not Want not!

My town Kannur, is a small one with very few people who are into serious cooking/baking. So I guess that's the reason why we don't have a regular supply of cooking chocolate, fresh cream, food colours, lasagna, dried herbs, celery,etc. So I have to either substitute for it or keep my eyes wide open while I travel :D

So whenever I see Fresh Cream on shelves, I just grab them. I had once picked up 10 packets together! Aparna knows that very well! :D
Last Saturday we had a huge order and I had some cream left after making Silky Chocolate Custard Pudding. I can never waste cream & had to use every bit left and that's when my mom gave me a signal that it doesn't stay fresh in the fridge for long! The next thing I knew was that I was making some truffles...something that I had been waiting to try for long.


CHOCOLATE RUM TRUFFLES
Recipe adapted from Joy Of Baking

Ingredients:

8oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
3/4th cup heavy whipping cream (I used 25% fat fresh cream)
2 tbsp unsalted butter ( I used regular butter)
2 tbsp rum
Cocoa powder for coating

Method:

Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized stainless steel bowl. Set aside. Heat the cream and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir with a whisk until smooth. If desired, add the liqueur. Cover and place in the refrigerator until the truffle mixture is firm (this will take several hours or overnight).

Place your coatings for the truffles on a plate. Remove the truffle mixture from the refrigerator. With your hands, or else a melon baller or small spoon form the chocolate into round or mis-shaped bite-sized balls. Immediately roll the truffle in the coating and place on a parchment lined baking sheet or tray. Cover and place in the refrigerator until firm. Truffles can be refrigerated for a couple of weeks or else frozen for a couple of months. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Makes 30 small truffles


They are decadent and silky smooth! Never knew these brown beauties would be so easy to work with! We love ganache at home , so I knew this would be an instant hit and boy! I was not wrong! :)










18 Comments:

Tina said...

Truffles looks great Ria. Beautiful clicks.

Coffee and Vanilla said...

That sounds very good... love dark chocolate and with rum it must be even better!

chef and her kitchen said...

They look just fabulous dear..very decadent..

Sarah Naveen said...

excclnt click...Truffle is a real beauty dea..!!!

Divya Kudua said...

I had seen a recipe for truffles in Tarla Dalal's Cookery magazine and so badly wanted to try it coz of the ease in making it.Never got around..as usual.

Love the way you've presented those in a cute box.I am sure it would have tasted spectacular too.Just too good:)

Ivy said...

Your truffles look beautiful and are so easy to make.

Janice said...

What a great way to use up your cream, bet you really enjoyed those.

Michelle said...

Love ganache which is a staple in my refrigerator. Can't seem to go a few days without having a helping or 2 of ganache. And I love to dip potato chips in it.

Parita said...

Truffles have come out perfect!

Swapna said...

Perfect Truffles Ria and beautiful clicks too....I have posted a peanut truffles recipe in my blog...

pierre said...

Hello Ria
This is pierre from Paris France ; I love your blog (an your kitchen!!) and your truffles are just a taste of what we expect for xmas (at least here in France as we eat a lot of choco truffles at that period!!)
and if you like French creative food come and visit my blog you are very welcome right now a creme brulee of ..butternut squash !!so see you !
Pierre

Questnet said...

Wow, looks good. How do you make them so round?

Sunitha said...

Awesome stuff Ria.. I guess I don't have to buy any books on baking just come over and get them from your site!

TBC said...

Ria, I think it's my first time here. You have a delightful little blog!

The truffles look beautiful and so does that lovely decorative box.

You mentioned that you're from Kannur? My husband's from Kannur too.

Bharathy said...

* Lovely!!* :)

TBC said...

Ria, to answer your question- my husband's family lives in Talap. I'm not too familiar with places in Kannur (or even Kerala for that matter- I grew up outside Kerala). We do spend time in Kannur whenever we visit India.

So you live by the beach, huh? It must be really nice! :)

C Me said...

Hey Ria,

I am here again!!...Ur regular visitor...
I still owe u the pics of Lamingtons on FB and also the tiramisu...I tried the no bake one on my sisters bday...Was a hit!!!!
Thanks, u are really a talent.....Wish I was as good in baking.. :-(

Ok now coming to the point why I got down to write this note...
The minute I seen Rum,..I thought it must be a rum ball recipe..
Can you please fine a Rum ball recipe for me pleaseee..I am sure you must be having something.
There is a lady here who makes these rum balls and sells them...They are so delicious..I cant tell you how much...They are just awesome...I was tempted so many times to ask her the recipe but obiviously I cant...coze thats her business..
I all I can guess the ingrediants are chocolate cake soaked in rum and some kinda of cherry jam or something to make it moist...

I searched a lot of recipes on the internet..But in vain..

So waiting to hear from you...
and see a new blog post with Rum ballssss

Cassie

C Me said...

Hey Ria,

I am here again!!...Ur regular visitor...
I still owe u the pics of Lamingtons on FB and also the tiramisu...I tried the no bake one on my sisters bday...Was a hit!!!!
Thanks, u are really a talent.....Wish I was as good in baking.. :-(

Ok now coming to the point why I got down to write this note...
The minute I seen Rum,..I thought it must be a rum ball recipe..
Can you please fine a Rum ball recipe for me pleaseee..I am sure you must be having something.
There is a lady here who makes these rum balls and sells them...They are so delicious..I cant tell you how much...They are just awesome...I was tempted so many times to ask her the recipe but obiviously I cant...coze thats her business..
I all I can guess the ingrediants are chocolate cake soaked in rum and some kinda of cherry jam or something to make it moist...

I searched a lot of recipes on the internet..But in vain..

So waiting to hear from you...
and see a new blog post with Rum ballssss

Cassie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...